Dentistry on Sheppard
Blog & Articles
August 2020 / DENTISTRY
Tongue scraping is an ancient Ayurvedic (Indian) treatment recommendation which helps cleanse the body of toxins. It involves taking a specially designed instrument to remove the large amounts of bacteria and dead cells that often congregate in the irregularities on the top surface of the tongue.
A coated tongue often looks opaque and whitish colour. A coated tongue is made worse by smoking, dry mouth, poor oral hygiene, yeast infections or medications. Bacteria and dead cells congregate mostly at the back of the tongue and tend to be the bacteria that produce volatile sui fur compounds. These sulfur containing compounds are a prominent source of bad breath (halitosis). A 2004 study found tooth brushing reduced volatile sulfur compounds by 45 percent, but tongue scraping reduced production by 75 percent.
Daily tongue cleaning has been shown to increase the taste and satisfaction from food by cleaning debris from around tongue's taste buds. By increasing taste reception one would get many benefits - eating less, having less sugar, salt and spice. Stimulating the tongue through cleaning has also been shown to make one feel more "invigorated".
Daily, the tongue should be gently scraped from the back to the front for approximately 5 to 10 strokes. Rinse the scraper between strokes if there is a lot of accumulation.
Tongue scraping should be part of everyone's daily oral hygiene routine. Brush 2-3 times daily, floss daily and tongue scrape daily. Think of it as improving your mouth's fitness and freshness. Come in to Dentistry on Sheppard to pick up your free tongue scraper.
- Autumn Dental Care Tips
- Oral Cancer Awareness: Safeguarding Your Smile and Health
- Dental Care during Pregnancy: What Expectant Mothers Need to Know
- The Connection Between Oral Health and Overall Well-being: A Holistic Approach to Dental Care
- Smile Secrets: Tips for Maintaining Healthy Teeth and Gums
- Debunking Common Myths About Oral Health and Dental Care
- Dental Implants Or Dentures?
- How Smiling Affects Overall Health
- The Correlation Between Dental & Heart Health
- Everything You Need to Know About Ozone Therapy
- How to Stop Tooth Decay and Prevent Cavities
- Everything You Need to Know About Halitosis
- Can I Have My Amalgam Dental Fillings Removed?
- Gum Disease (Periodontal Disease) and Stress
- New Dental Ideas - Fads, TikTok Ideas
- Aloe Vera
- Glucosamine and The Temporomandibular Joint
- Should I Have My Mercury Fillings Removed?
- Prebiotics and the Oral Microbiome
- 5 Steps to Good Oral Health
- What’s Involved at A Dental Check-Up
- Nutrition, Teeth, and Good Health
- Apthous Ulcers (Canker Sores)
- Remineralization of Teeth
- Tongue Scraping
- Fluoride Exposure In Utero Linked To Lower IQ In Kids, Study Says
- The Link Between Sugar and Depression