Dentistry on Sheppard
Blog & Articles
Apthous Ulcers (Canker Sores)
August 2020 / DENTISTRY
Canker sores are recurrent, painful, shallow, round or oval, noncontagious ulcers on the soft tissues (mucous membranes) of your mouth (not usually on the gums). They occur in approximately 20% of population, with females suffering more than males. They are not found on lips as these ulcerations are usually cold sores.
The cause of apthous ulceration is unclear, but it is understood that a T-cell mediated immune response triggered by several factors is involved- dehydration, localized trauma (biting lip), stress, certain foods, hormones, genetics and vitamin deficiencies are often sited. Different individuals have different triggers which cause these ulcerations.
These ulcers usually last several days to two weeks but are benign.
Treatment involves avoiding the triggers. A common food trigger are acidic foods (tomatoes, citrus foods, pineapple).
The best natural treatment for a canker sore is natural honey. Do not use pasteurized, grocery store, honey since high heat destroys the nutrients. Raw organic honey has natural antibiotic, antiseptic, antiviral and antifungal compounds.
After each meal and before bed, clean the area with one side of a cotton swab and use the other to apply a small amount of organic honey and leave it sit. Pain, redness and size are known to be reduced by organic honey. To prevent honey from creating cavities, only use for a few days at a time - and keep good oral hygiene.
- Everything You Need to Know About Ozone Therapy
- How to Stop Tooth Decay and Prevent Cavities
- Everything You Need to Know About Halitosis
- Can I Have My Amalgam Dental Fillings Removed?
- Gum Disease (Periodontal Disease) and Stress
- New Dental Ideas - Fads, TikTok Ideas
- Aloe Vera
- Glucosamine and The Temporomandibular Joint
- Should I Have My Mercury Fillings Removed?
- Prebiotics and the Oral Microbiome
- 5 Steps to Good Oral Health
- What’s Involved at A Dental Check-Up
- Nutrition, Teeth, and Good Health
- Apthous Ulcers (Canker Sores)
- Remineralization of Teeth
- Tongue Scraping
- Fluoride Exposure In Utero Linked To Lower IQ In Kids, Study Says
- The Link Between Sugar and Depression